Are you living with one or more chronic conditions and want to learn more about what you can do to better manage your own health?
Living Healthy Champlain’s next Better Choices, Better Health® Online Workshop begins November 5th, 2018.
The Online Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (Better Choices, Better Health®) is FREE to individuals across Ontario who are living with one or more chronic conditions such as diabetes, chronic pain, high blood pressure, cancer, heart or kidney conditions, etc. The program was developed at Stanford University and was designed to improve self-efficacy and confidence in the participants, and address issues that are most important to individuals living with chronic conditions.
Who can participate?
- Ontario residents experiencing chronic conditions (such as arthritis, kidney disease, chronic pain, cancer, depression, asthma, respiratory disease or any other chronic condition).
- Individuals with all levels of computer skills can participate from anywhere that they can access a computer (or mobile device) and internet.
- Caregivers, friends, and family members are also welcome to participate.
About the Program
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program is now being offered online! Details of the online program are as follows:
- A FREE, six-week, highly interactive workshop that takes place entirely online
- Participants log on at their own convenience 2-3 times per week for a total of about 2 hours per week
- Each workshop is led by two trained peer facilitators
- Groups of about 25 individuals participate together
- New lessons are posted each week
- Confidential and anonymous
Topics covered by the program include:
- How to handle issues such as pain and fatigue
- Activities for improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Medication management
- Healthy eating
- Effective communication with health care providers and loved ones
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Making an action plan, problem-solving, and decision making
Benefits of participation
- Gain confidence in managing your own health and maintain an active and fulfilling life
- Learn how to better manage your symptoms
- Learn tips to make your daily activities easier
- Develop self-help tools and strategies
- Mutual support with other participants living with chronic health conditions