Services & Recreation Programs
Information for Residents
The Grove Nursing home offers a full slate of activities and events — there is always something that will appeal to each resident. In a given month, residents can participate in discussion groups, exercise and restorative care programs, manicures, sing-a-longs and entertainment (with local talent), special outings and hot lunch service.
Long-term care is a provincially funded and regulated health care service that exists as part of the province’s publicly funded health care delivery system. Access to a long-term care home is based on assessed health care need, not ability to pay. There is a resident co-payment, but government subsidizes this cost for those residents who need the care but cannot afford to pay.
The Community Care Access Centre determines who is eligible to be placed in a long-term care home, manages wait lists and coordinates placement.
The following programs and services are available at no additional cost:
- Nursing and personal care on a 24-hour basis
- Medical care by any physician with privileges and in his/her absence by the doctor on call
- Supplies, equipment and devices necessary for the provision of medical, nursing and personal care, and activities of daily living
- Supplies and equipment for personal hygiene and grooming
- Meal service and meals, including three daily meals, snacks between meals and at bedtime, special and therapeutic diets, dietary supplements and assistive devices for self-feeding
- Social, recreational and physical activities and programs, including related supplies and equipment
- Rehabilitation services and most related supplies and equipment
- Laundry, including labelling, machine washing and drying of personal clothing (no ironing)
- Physiotherapy and reactivation
Prior to the start of each month a recreation calendar is sent out so residents and their family members know what is coming up for the next month. Some of the activities offered are: Music programs (iPod project included), Exercise, Day Trips, Games, Social and physical games, Residents’ Council Meetings, Mens/Ladies Night, Weekly Church Services, Bible Study, trivia games, baking , news and views, painting and many others.
In addition, many activities are planned incorporating the family members including theatre days and socials. Often times in the evenings, local musicians, come to the Grove to entertain the residents.